World Environment Day 2019 started with the UNEP (United Nations Environmental Programme) theme ‘Beat Air Pollution’ addressing the growing threat of air pollution globally which was exemplified by the Delhi airpocalypse. 2019 was also hallmarked by the Amazon forest on fire, Devastating floods in our own country, and ended with Australia's bushfire, which almost pushed the Koala bear to the brink of extinction. All of these are symptoms of an ecosystem that is unbalanced.
In the past decade has been the hottest decade yet and this shows no signs of abatement. With all these environmental issues in the background, we need to realise that action is key. The dawn of a new decade can signify the dawn of hope of a better world if we are willing to work for it. This decade we need people to care for the environment, to address the current climate crisis and to unite for a sustainable future are more than ever. After all isn't sustainable living equal to better living for everyone?
One step to reach this goal is by transforming our campuses into a ‘Green Campus’, a place where environmental education meets action and combine to work towards a better future. Some easy steps to reach this goal are:
- Don’t just segregate your waste, ensure that they reach a certified recycler too.
- Create easy to understand signboards gently reminding people to follow eco-friendly practices.
- Engage in & encourage public discussion regarding the environment.
- Initiate small awareness movements by yourself.
- Encourage your neighborhood to segregation of waste after collection.
- Use aerators for taps to reduce the water wastage.
- Check the star ratings in electric appliances to keep your electric consumption & finances in check .
- Demand accountability from MNCs and governmental organisation with regard to their environmental policies.
- Be mindful, take a breather and appreciate nature, for she is your mother !
Points mentioned above are for you to get started on your path of becoming an environmentally conscious individual. And if you already follow some of them, endeavour to do better and follow all of them.
Let 2020 be the year: “Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high, where knowledge is free. Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls…..
Where the mind is led forward by thee, into ever widening thought and action.
Into that heaven of freedom, my father,let my country awake!”
This new year let us endeavour to make Rabindrnath Tagore’s words come true.